Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Campus on the Run 2010

On Saturday I participated in another 5K.  This time I ran all over the Washington State University campus in a race called Campus on the Run.  Here's what happened:

  • I showed up really early and got my long-sleeved tee and race number.  I stretched.
  • I stretched some more.
  • I participated in a cheesy group warm-up activity.
  • I stood at the starting line next to a dude holding a sign that said "12-15 minutes mile."
  • I started running when the gun went off.
(Okay, so not a lot happened before the race...  During the race, however...)

  • At about .3 miles, the course was already heading into its first uphill.  I was super-thankful to  Scott, since it was his idea to run the course two days before to determine good running and walking points on the course.  While everyone around me tried to run up the hill, I walked at a comfortable pace and caught my breath.  I knew where I was going to walk and where I was going to run for the whole 3.1 miles.
  • At the top of the hill, I picked up my pace again.  I jogged until the next uphill section.  This one was a long one.  I climbed to the nuclear power plant and watched as the faster runners flew down the hill as I was walking up.
  • The crest marked the first mile point.  Lots of people got water and looked exhausted, but I felt pretty good.  I picked up my feet and enjoyed my long jog to the bottom and the fact that I was running under a 12-minute mile on such a hilly course.  I felt bad for the lady running in pajama pants.
  • My second mile was my best.  I felt like I had energy; my knee didn't hurt, and I even noticed that I was running with a smile on my face.  As I passed other runners, I updated them on the distance we had all run so far.
  • During the third mile I realized that I had some competition.  For once, though, someone else was competing with me, and I wasn't competing back.  Two young women dressed in purple roller derby-esque outfits kept passing me on the uphills, and I kept passing them on the downhills.  I heard them talking about how they needed to pass me and how they hoped to "beat the girl in the yellow Brooks top."  I had to giggle a little, especially since it seemed like they were working so hard.  (Running uphill is really hard.)  It shouldn't matter, I suppose, but I ended up crossing the finish line before both of them. :)
  • On the last straightaway, I have to admit that I was tired.  My knee was a little sore, and I could tell that I was jogging on an incline, no matter how slight it was.  I wanted to cross that finish line in under 36 minutes.  I didn't allow myself to walk, and I kept my pace steady all the way to the end.  I crossed with an unofficial time of 35:50, which I am proud of for the course and my current fitness level.  Official times have not come out yet.
 I was happy with my race, and I am looking forward to my next one in April.  I'll be running my first 10K in Spokane.  Woo hoo!



  1. Great job. Those hills are nothing compared to the size of your runner's heart.

  2. Way to push through the pain at the end! And it sounds like your knee is slowly improving, which is great! Injuries suck.

  3. My official time was just posted - 35:50.6.