Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Physical Therapy

Yesterday was my first physical therapy session at ProFormance.  After running for a couple of miles on the treadmill (next to a gal who was lazily using the elliptical machine and yawning), walking back and forth in front of my therapist, and doing squats, I was given some good and bad news.

Good news: Brandon doesn't think I have a "bad knee."  In fact, my knee seems to be very strong and healthy.  The problem, he says, is in my weak hips, causing me to put strain on my IT Band.  He says that with a month of using The Stick twice a day for 5 minutes and doing various hip-strengthening exercises, I should be strong enough to increase my distance again and run without pain.

Bad news: First, I didn't like being told that I have weak hips.  And second, along with my exercises, I will have to go in to get treatment on my IT Band once a week for the next four weeks.  Brandon says that the treatment will hurt and that I will bruise all the way down my thigh.  I sure don't look forward to that, though it will be worth it if I can run all Spring without pain.

Until then, I will keep my runs relatively short.  I am planning a solo 2-3 miler tonight.  Perhaps it will be the first night in almost a week that I will run without rain. 

<3

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're on the road to recovery! And don't feel badly about this - Dominic was just told by one of his trainers that he has weak hips, so he's been doing special exercises too. You will both get through it - look to the future and press through like the hard-core woman I know and love!

    Let's make time for each other this weekend.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like mostly good news. With all your torture-resistance training I'm sure the pain part will be a piece of cake.

    ReplyDelete